December 20, 2011

Did God call Me? (Thoughts from a new MK)

Mommy and Daddy talk about being “called” to go to Africa.  But I am wondering God, did you call me?  I was sad when we had to pack the big yellow truck full of all our things and say goodbye to my neighbor friends.  The plane rides were exciting.  I loved seeing lions just sitting outside our car at the Lion and Cheetah Park.  The car ride through bush and over bumpy dirt roads, slowing for chickens, cows and goats was a thrill.  But now I keep wondering, “when are we going back to home where my toys and my friends are?” 

Mommy talks with me about Abraham and how he went where God “called” him even when he didn’t know where he was going.  We talk about Jonah and when he didn’t obey God “calling” him.  I don’t see any whales around here!  

It’s very hot even at night and we have to sleep under mosquito nets or we’ll get lots of bites.  There are a lot of neat bugs I’ve never seen before, lizards with blue heads and yellow throats, and some really big spiders.  I do like wearing only underwear all day and shorts when I go outside.  I love climbing the “tickle tree” and playing games with Uncle Jon and the staff kids on Fridays.  But sometimes I feel sad because I can only talk to my grandparents on the phone and see pictures of their homes and the fun things I got to do with them.  I miss them and I tell mommy many times that I’m ready to go back home.  I don’t know how long 2 years is.  Did God “call” me to Africa too?

There are many sick kids in the hospital where daddy works.  We are going to sing for them on Christmas Day.  Every time I go outside to play, kids come around and want to play with me and talk to me but I can’t understand what they say.  Maybe God wants me to be a good friend and tell them about Jesus.  So maybe God called me too, because He loves me, He wants me to have many adventures, and learn more about Him.  I want to obey, but it may take a little while for this to feel like home.  Daddy says we are in this together as a family and I know that is true, so yes, I guess God did call me to Africa too, because He called our whole family.


“But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”  ~Joshua 24:15b

*Uncle Jon is a fellow missionary here.  The kids call all the fellow staff aunt and uncle, because we are a family here, in a unique sort of way!
*The tickle tree is a beautiful short tree with sweet smelling flowers.  That is just our nickname for it.


 Beating the heat in our makeshift pools!



Our Christmas branch!


The boys in the "tickle tree".

No comments:

Post a Comment