March 7, 2012

Learning to Let Go

I, Dontie, am sitting here reading my Bible reading for today in James and the words jumped out at me:

"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.'  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow...Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'"  (James 4:13-14a, 15) 

We have this illusion that we are in control and we make plan, but ultimately, we don't know what tomorrow brings.  Africa has been such a good teacher in that lack of control. 

Water may or may not be on for who knows how long.  Do I worry about that?  The power may be on or it may be off for 10 days straight.  Do I worry about the food?  What am I going to do with that month's supply of meat in the freezer that is thawing?  Every vegetable I pull out of the fridge (as quickly as possible to save every last bit of coolness), is going bad and we can't use them fast enough.  Do I worry and fret?  Am I in control of these circumstances? 

What about our future here at Karanda?  Our TEP (long-term work visa) was denied and we are in the process of appealing it.  We have had a handful of extensions, and we go month by month not knowing if we'll have to be out of the country or if we can stay.  My first instinct is to worry and wonder what is going on here.  I want stability and knowing what tomorrow brings.  But here in James (as well as so many other places in the Bible), God reminds ME that He is in control.  He knows the details.  This is ALL in His plan and He has a plan that is perfect and good. 

Christopher and I are learning to let go and just live each day.  For someone like me, this is a tough lesson to learn.  But what freedom it brings! 
  • Yes the water goes off, but we learn to use what we have wisely and not worry. 
  • Yes, the zesa (power) is off, but I have to go one day at a time, use my brain that God gave me to be creative, and ultimately trust that God is in control of even the zesa!  I have to let go and believe in His goodness.  Maybe that month's supply of meat can be a blessing to several people around who are starving. 
  • Yes, we don't know where we will be after this month's extension has expired, but its ok.  God has a plan and He's got a reason for this uncertainty and I have to trust Him. 
So we now are learning to say, "If it is God's will..."  Because that is why we are here for whatever amount of time that is!


A section of our drive to Karanda Mission Hospital.  Zimbabwe is a beautiful country.

Some of our critter friends around (or in) our home:

Guinea Fowl right outside our door         
                    
                             Wall Spider hanging out on our wall

The largest snail we have ever seen.  We named him Sully.

 

A high bridge we cross getting to the hospital, and our car.  Water has gone over this bridge a number of times during the rainy season.  

1 comment: